Monday, July 14, 2014

Matt Brannagan in Service   

Matt Brannagan- 2013 Marathon 
Matt Brannagan and I met in 2003 as a result of his request to host The Samurai Game® for me to facilitate in the Sierra Foothills - this for a men's group he was part of. Shortly thereafter he deployed for military service in Iraq as a member of the National Guard. He was part of an infantry unit responsible for improvised explosive device (IED) detection and removal. We stayed in touch throughout his deployment; and immediately on his return we met for breakfast in Fairfield, California. He said he wanted to support the work I'm doing and offered to help me create a monthly e-newsletter and a blog site. Everything provided here at The Ronin Post, has been brought to you over the years by Matt Brannagan.

Before he deployed Matt had been studying for his Masters Degree in Psychology. He continued his study while deployed and completed his degree when he returned. He is now as Ph.D. candidate. Seeking to understand and better himself he entered a powerful program, The Hoffman Process ... and subsequently decided to undertake the long trek to become a facilitator of the Process, able to deliver for The Hoffman Institute. The long trek, well undertaken and completed, now has him actively delivering the Process.

Matt is married and lives in North Hollywood, California. He is a quiet man. He is certified to facilitate The Samurai Game®, and will be delivering one soon in New York City. He recently agreed to become an Allied Ronin Associate - though in actuality he truly has always been one. He understands integrity, service and commitment to his core. He remains a member of the Army National Guard, donning his uniform periodically throughout each year, and is now an E-8 First Sergeant of an Infantry Headquarters Company.

Last year Matt ran a marathon in support of Hoffman Institute's youth-at-risk programs. This year he is running a half marathon (along with a team) for the same purpose. I want to support him in that, and I ask you to contribute financially here to his efforts. This month's issue of The Ronin Post is dedicated to Matt's appeal. Read on -

It has been a year now since I ran my first marathon, raising over $10,000 for the Hoffman Institute's Youth Programs.  The money raised last year helped to allow 20 at-risk youth and mentors from New York, San Jose, and Phoenix to come together for a wonderful week of healing and growth. Additionally it helped support the training of an additional facilitator who will enable the training to grow in the future, reaching even more teens.

This year, I have set a new goal.  I am running a half-marathon in Marin County to raise money for three great initiatives: 1) Hoffman Youth Programs, 2) Hoffman Teacher Training, and 3) Hoffman Scholarship Fund.

The great news is that I have a team of runners and walkers joining me for the half-marathon, 5K or 10K.  If you are interested in joining the team let me know, and I will help you get registered.

The three initiatives I am raising money for are ones I have benefited greatly from. Over the past 4 years I have worked very closely in the development and delivery of a variety of programs which have helped dozens of teens and mentors to cultivate the tools necessary to overcome the difficulties of issues such as inner city violence, gangs, teen parenthood, incarceration and to improve overall academic success. 

I wouldn't have had that opportunity had I not been afforded to participate in an amazing teacher program that allowed me to grow as a facilitator for both adults and youth.  Additionally, I likely never would have participated in the process myself had I not been the recipient of a generous scholarship.

I am very proud to be involved with such a great organization, but as a 501(c)3 organization we rely on the generosity of donors to grow and make an impact on even more teens. Please follow the link here if you would like to contribute, or help me spread the word about this effort (feel free to forward at will).

Thank you for your support, Matt


© Lance Giroux, March 2014

No comments: