Tuesday, April 08, 2008

An Interesting Video

On April 2nd I sent the following note to all who have in the past (2003 - 2008) attended the Allied Ronin Leaders' Retreat. FYI - if you're interested in the Retreat, next is set for July 12-16, and if you give me a call 707-769-0328 or send email to AlliedRonin@aol.com we can discuss it as something that may be ideal for you (or not). Other than that, read on ...
***
Hello All!

Below is a link to something I thought some of you may find facinating ... and is not an "April Fool" thing. I'm passing it along because the Allied Ronin Leader's Retreat since it's outset has taken a "right brain" activity, physical practices approach and draws from relevant material, e.g., "Slowing Down to the Speed of Life" (Carlson & Bailey) one of our first texts, and "Deep Survival" (Gonzales) of our most recent texts. The exploration, study and practice is not meant to replace or invalidate logic, reason or any other left brain function, rather to add to it.

Yesterday (April 1) I received email from Robert Pierce, who I've known for seven years and who works for the California Department of Health Services, Genetic Disease Screening Program. Bob's pretty much a left-brain guy - he most often leans on a rational, logical, scientific approach to the world.

Bob asked me to view an 18 minute segment of film - a presentation delivered on February 27, 2008, by Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, Harvard-trained brain scientist. Ten years ago Dr. Taylor had the unique opportunity to deepen her understanding of brain functioning as a result of her own massive stroke which occurred in her left brain hemisphere above and behind her ear. In minutes and hours from her initial pain she was able to observe herself under the effects of the stroke - and at times, as I interpreted her presentation, was functioning totally through a right brain experience, i.e. void of left brain activity.

Last night when I viewed the clip one of my immediate reactions was this is fascinating, yet pretty far out there for the average person to swallow, and "way far out there" for some people. But you'll note that she says repeatedly that as she progressively lost left brain functioning she entered a state of "being in a lala land", but a state in which profound understanding could occur.

I won't second guess your reactions ... but thought you might be interested. Here is a trained scientist who was teaching and performing brain research at Harvard Medical School. Be prepared to step aside and see something quite unique. Go to
http://www.microclesia.com/?p=320 to view the clip. Her personal website is www.drjilltaylor.com. If the clip doesn't resonate with you a suggestion is to not discount, rather hang on the to the link and return at some later date and view it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read "My Stroke of Insight" in one sitting - I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried. It was a fantastic book (I heard it's a NYTimes Bestseller and I can see why!), but I also think it will be the start of a new, transformative Movement! No one wants to have a stroke as Jill Bolte Taylor did, but her experience can teach us all how to live better lives. Her TED.com speech was one of the most incredibly moving, stimulating, wonderful videos I've ever seen. Her Oprah Soul Series interviews were fascinating. They should make a movie of her life so everyone sees it. This is the Real Deal and gives me hope for humanity.