Saturday, May 23, 2009

It’s 7:45a.m., Saturday, May 23, 2009.  I’m sitting in my friend’s home in Grass Valley, California, waiting to drive down the road to lead a day and a half workshop with Samurai Game® at the Aikido’Ka aikido dojo here in town.   

Just moments ago I opened an email that another friend, Ken Nanbu, passed away last night in Honolulu.  Twelve years ago Ken gave me my first bokken (wooden Japanese training sword) to use in Samurai Games.  Since then it’s traveled  the world for that purpose.  And it was instrumental in my first seven years of aikido training .  It’s been a constant reminder of his friendship and the fact that even the smallest gesture or gift can make a big difference. 

The remainder of Games this year will be dedicated to his memory.  He was a generous person.

No comments: